Friday, August 2, 2013

Feast or Famine


Feast or Famine?
 Often times I can be an all or nothing person.  Black and white.  In my (finite) mind,  if I can’t do something the way I think it should be than it is not worth doing at all.  Someone once told me, “Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.”  That just goes completely against my grain.  If I’m going to do it I want it to be done with perfection.  There, I admitted it.  What does the Lord want us to do?

God says whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for The Lord (Colossians 3:23).  Does He say to do it perfectly?  How can we when Jesus is the only perfect One.   I do believe God wants us to do things with excellence and try our best.  But let’s quantify—washing the clothes?  It would be great if we could wash, fold and put the clothes neatly away all in the same afternoon.  Truthfully, it’s not always possible and if you make it possible you might be missing opportunities to serve your family in other ways or just spend time with them.  Exercise?  Ideally, I enjoy working out for 45-1 hour.  But what if I only have 20 minutes before I need to get in the shower and go somewhere?  Seize the moment!  Go for a brisk walk, pop in an exercise tape or whatever suits you.  Twenty minutes is better than no minutes of exercise.  Quiet time?  I enjoy spending an hour with the Lord reading His Word, journaling, doing my current bible study, etc.  But what if I can’t fit that hour in every morning?  Ten minutes with the Lord is better than no minutes with the Lord. 

Before you ditch making a quick thrown together dinner for take-out, decide not to read in your book because you only have five minutes or skip working out or a quiet time because it’s going to be less than what you desire—think again.  Often times, something is better than nothing.  Although I prefer feasting on the Lord’s Word and need to be intentional about carving out that time, having an appetizer is better than starving with nothing to eat or drink from Him.  His grace is sufficient and we are only made perfect in His power through our own weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Warmly,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment