Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Year Later

I am reposting something I wrote last year. With the one year anniversary of Sandy Hook, I know personally of many families still dealing with deep pain. My sister-in-law's nephew was in the room where all the kids were killed. He watched his best friend Jack die. He was 6 years old. My daughter turned 5 last week. The question I seem to always ask God when I see and question these things is "it seems so unnecessary". Below is what I wrote a year ago. I am reposting because it is the anniversary of the shooting and two, the timeless truth of God is constant: He alone is our great hope. He is very much a God who is calm and unshakable.  My prayer today is that Christ's peace as grown in the heart's of those with so much grief.

Grateful for the God of Hope,
Leeanne

------------------------
December 15, 2012


As I was getting ready to publish a post yesterday regarding fun advent activities to do with our children during this season the world erupted with news of this shooting. This time it was personal  because a little 6 year old boy from my extended family was sitting in the class when the shooter walked in and started firing. He saw his teacher and friends die. He ran and praise God was safe. 

How do you process this? More eloquent people than me will come out with better explanations so all I can offer today is this:  Our Hope is in Jesus. 2000 years ago Jesus came and fulfilled the hope of the scripture. He is the hope of the past, the hope of the present, and the hope of our future. Only in Christ will we be able to find hope in the middle of all this chaos. Yet, I'm reminded over and over that Jesus calms the storm with His very breath. We may feel chaos but He is most certainly calm. We beat our chests and cry out "why" but Jesus quietly says, "be still  and know that I am God." Right now, I rest in His hope. Without hope we can't find peace. 

So today, I thank the Lord he protected the sweet boys in our family and I pray He will comfort the families who lost their sweet children. I am grateful I can grieve we hope (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). Jesus is a great light in the midst of a dark place. 

With HOPE,
Leeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment