Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Little Blessings, Big Meaning

Over the past few months my oldest daughter (5) has been telling us her blanket, aka, "lovie" is falling apart. It was given to her before she was born by a sweet lady in our church. The colors were white, pink, and green and I know it was lovingly knitted together just for her. We have noticed after 5 years of continuous love that it is literally falling apart.

My husband and I kept saying to each other that she needs another one but also perplexed with how do you replace THE LOVIE?  You all know what I mean when I say that. The sacred thing no one else gets to play with. The one thing that cannot be missing when we travel. The only thing that brings comfort on a sick day. The one thing that makes everything right with the world.

Honestly, I have dreaded the day the last strand unraveled and sadly, it was fast approaching!

A few months back we had a close family friend live with us for a short time. We had also become friends with his parents as well.  Last week, UPS delivered a big box to our door and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.

As I began to open it after dinner and started removing the tissue paper one by one I started crying. I kept saying, "It can't be! Greg, it can't be".  He looked in the box and he started crying too. It was just one of those precious, tender moments that needed absolutely no words. Greg knew. I knew, and the Lord knew. Our dear family friend's mom had knitted us all new LOVIES. Rachel got one, Nolan got one, Georgia got one, and Greg and I got one. Beautiful, new afghans from a sweet family.

All I could think about was this is a gift from the Lord. I looked at Greg and said, "you know why God gave us this gift don't you'?  He said, "yes". We both nodded because we knew the answer. He gave us a sweet, unexpected gift simply because he loves us.

The best part?  Rachel's new lovie is the same size as her old one and the same beautiful colors of white, pink and green with a little extra purple thrown in.

Just because He loves us. Extravagant love. Kind love. Specific love.

With great joy,
Leeanne,

No comments:

Post a Comment