Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Equality: Husband and Wife

Good morning everyone! I pray you are having a great week. Our precious church is hosting a parenting conference right now and I have walked away so encouraged that God has and will continue to equip us to parent the children He has given us.  One thing Bob Barnes emphasized last night was we need to have a strong marriage to be a strong family. Our marriage will be the greatest example to them of a healthy relationship.  What a huge task but a wonderful calling on our lives!!  

I found a quote by John Ensor that is a great reminder that God created order in all things and it is for our good.   Whether married or single, we can all pray that Christ would strengthen the marriages and families around us. 

---------------------------------


"I once had lively discussion with a brother who insisted that in his relationship everything was equal, and that this was the hallmark of their marriage. To him equal meant same and therefore interchangeable. He proudly rejected the idea of male initiation and female response. And what is more, he thought he was serving the cause of women in this. 

I responded by saying that in my marriage, my wife and I never think about equality, though if forced to think about it we would affirm our mutual worth before God. Instead, I see my wife as better and more precious than I--of greater worth. And I told him my wife took no offense in this matter. Indeed she gets upset with me precisely at the point when I start treating her as my equal. To her it feels like a step down." 

~John Ensor, Doing Things Right In Matters of the Heart, p. 95

With great JOY,
Leeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment