Monday, September 30, 2013

EMOTIONS - Dictator or Indicator?


“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”  Matthew 26:41

The world tells us, “Do what you feel!”  Contrary, the Bible says that our hearts are deceitful and that our flesh is weak.  Emotions are God given.  They help us to respond to life with happiness, sadness, fear, worry, excitement, joy, etc.  I vividly remember a time in my life when my emotions dictated all of my choices--the way I felt is how I would make my decisions.  If I felt like I wanted to purchase something I would do it.  If I was mad at someone I would react and let them know.  If I had a fear about something it would consume me and keep me from doing something or push me into doing something.  My emotions were an impulse to my actions.  What I didn’t realize is that my emotions were constantly changing—day to day and sometimes hour to hour.  So, after making an emotional decision I would often regret it or have wasted time and energy worrying.  

I am continuing to learn that our emotions have great purpose.  However, without God’s Truth and wisdom they can be futile. For every feeling there is God’s Truth to compare it to.  The Truth will set your emotions straight.  The Truth will validate or invalidate your feelings.  The Truth will bring you peace or discontentment.  Prayer and letting time pass will allow your emotions to be indicators and not dictators for your decisions.  

“Among these we as well as you once lived and conducted ourselves in the passions of our flesh [our behavior governed by our corrupt and sensual nature], obeying the impulses of the flesh and the thoughts of the mind [our cravings dictated by our senses and our dark imaginings]. We were then by nature children of [God’s] wrath and heirs of [His] indignation, like the rest of mankind.”
Ephesians 2:3
Amplified Bible (AMP)

Warmly,
Jill
 

No comments:

Post a Comment