Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Birds and The Bees


  
It is inevitable that our children will learn about how babies are made and the intricacies of sex.  As a child, I vividly remember getting my sex education on the bus in 2nd grade as I listened to the older kids.  I would not say it was healthy or an accurate depiction of the way God intended it to be.  I was well taken care of by my parents, but communicating these types of topics were ignored and uncomfortable.  I remember when I was fourteen and I got my period.  I told my mom while we were on our way to softball practice, she almost hit a tree on our street. 

I made a conscious decision that no matter how uncomfortable it was going to be, I wanted to be the one that gave my children God’s perspective on love, sex and baby making.  My oldest daughter has always been emotionally mature.  So, I knew the day would come sooner than later.  However, I did not expect it when she was seven.  She has always been inquisitive and whenever she asked questions that centered around babies and where they come from I told her that God gave us each one of our children out of love for each other.  That was enough until she started to put two and two together when one of our dogs got neutered.  How was it that he could no longer make babies? 

I took a deep breath and brought her into the guest bedroom at my parent’s house,  as we were visiting there over the summer.  I explained to her body parts, what they do and how a baby is conceived.  She asked questions like, “Do you and daddy still do it?”  I went on to explain that God intended it to be an act of love shared between a husband and wife, although some people in the world abuse it and do not do it out of love.  I told her  that daddy and I did because we loved each other.  She asked some other mature questions and it turned out to be a great conversation.  Until…my mom and I were putting all three kids to bed that night and my daughter looked at my mom and said, “Do you and Papa still do it?”  I fell on the ground laughing and I think my mom was speechless.  So I quickly recued her and said, “Remember I told you it was an act of love.  Nana and Papa still love each other.” 

It made a great story to tell and laugh about.  I am grateful that God was preparing my heart to share this with her.  My other two children are not quite old enough and emotionally mature enough to handle that conversation.  But, I’m ready when they are. 

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.”  Genesis 2:24

Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.”  Hebrews 13:4

Warmly,
Jill

1 comment:

  1. How very sweet, innocent and informative. Thank you Jill for opening your heart and family too us - very encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete