Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What's Your Love Language?

I had a thought today.  What is God's love language?  I would guess prayer as it encompasses so many things.  Have you read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman?  It's a faith based book that describes five ways to communicate love to your spouse (and now he has other versions, i.e., to your children).  


When Steve and I were dating we took the quiz to discover what our primary love languages were so we could best speak to each other's love language.  What we discovered was that we are completely opposite.  Isn't that just like God?  To pair us together so we would knowingly have to work at filling the other's "love tank" in a way that does not come natural.  

The five languages are:
1.  Words of affirmation- that person thrives when positive words, recognition and appreciation are expressed.
2. Acts of service- that person feels filled when someone does something for them.
3.  Receiving gifts- that person feels special when they receive special, thought-filled gifts.
4.  Quality time- that person feels loved when someone spends time with them, even if they are just in the same room.
5.  Physical touch- that person feels loved when they are being touched, rubbed, or just plain ole snuggle time. 

Steve has jokingly said that my primary love language are all five.  LOL.  I am an intricate person, but my primary love language is quality time and my least is physical touch.  I am just not a touchy feely person and need my space.  Steve, on the other hand, feels most loved by physical touch and least by quality time.  When we first got married I felt smothered by him, always wanting to snuggle.  I actually said to him one time, "Stop mauling me, I can't breathe!"  And he looked at me with puppy eyes and said, "I wish you would maul me."  I feel most loved by playing a board game, watching a movie together, doing a project together...feeling like that person carved out time for me.  Steve is a project person and we both are "over responsible"  and often forget to stop and smell the roses.  We have had to work at each other's primary love language and often fail.  Truthfully, for a healthy marriage and relationship all five languages need to be present.  

What is your primary love language?  Take an online quiz to find out and see how it will strengthen and better help your understand your relationships.  Go to this website:  5lovelanguages.com/profile and click on "click here to begin".  God made each of us different for a reason.  Steve and I often find that my strengths are his weaknesses and vice versa. 

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment