Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Substitution

Friends,
I pray today is full of God's sweet grace. I've been saving this post for Easter but couldn't wait any longer. It isn't meant for Easter but every single day-The substitution of Jesus for our sin. I pray it never gets dull or old or redundant. I pray that the cross never bores us but brings us to our knees in utter awe that He truly loves us so much He made a way that we can be deem "not guilty".  Only Jesus can do this. Only Jesus did.

Resting in the riches of His grace,
Leeanne

I'm sure I will repost around Easter but I pray it brings you a great hope today.

Spiritual Liberty

“Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” 2 Corinthians 3:17
Suggested Further Reading: Isaiah 53:1-6

Do you understand how it is that the very guilt of the sinner is taken away? Here I stand today a guilty and condemned traitor; Christ comes for my salvation, he bids me leave my cell. “I will stand where you are; I will be your substitute; I will be the sinner; all your guilt is to be imputed to me; I will die for it, I will suffer for it; I will have your sins.” Then stripping himself of his robes, he says, “There, put them on; you shall be considered as if you were Christ; you shall be the righteous one. I will take your place, you take mine.” Then he casts around me a glorious robe of perfect righteousness; and when I behold it, I exclaim, “Strangely, my soul, art thou arrayed”, with my elder brother’s garments on. Jesus Christ’s crown is on my head, his spotless robes are round my loins, and his golden sandals are the shoes of my feet. And now is there any sin? The sin is on Christ; the righteousness is on me. Ask for the sinner, Justice! Let the voice of Justice cry, “Bring forth the sinner!” The sinner is brought. Who does the executioner lead forth? It is the incarnate Son of God. True, he did not commit the sin; he was without fault; but it is imputed to him: he stands in the sinner’s place. Now justice cries, “Bring forth the righteous, the perfectly righteous.” Whom do I see? Lo, the Church is brought; each believer is brought. Justice says, “Are these perfectly righteous?” “Yes they are. What Christ did is theirs; what they did is laid on Christ; his righteousness is theirs; their sins are his.”

For meditation: The substitutionary atonement of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:211 Peter 2:243:18). Are you a beneficiary?

Charles Spurgeon Sermon no. 9
18 February (1855)

No comments:

Post a Comment