Monday, March 10, 2014

Our Boy


Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
 When I found out I was pregnant with my third child and it was a boy, I was a little nervous.  I was used to girls and not really sure how I would handle raising a boy.  Many of my friends warned me that boys are wide open, full of energy and untamable at times.  Then came along Titus.

He was nothing like I had prepared myself for.  He was sweet, tender, well-behaved and wanted to do what his big sisters were doing.  At first, this was cute...especially when they would put dresses on him.  It quickly became obvious to my husband and I that he was choosing to play with "girl" things more than "boy" things.  The world would say, let him be who he is.  Give into his desires to play with girl things.  My husband, being a guy's guy, was having a fit when he would want to play with barbies or other girlie things.  We made a conscious decision to train him to be a boy, point out the differences between boys and girls (besides the obvious), encourage boy activities, have regular wrestle time with daddy and we started cultivating boy friendships and having boy play dates.

My boy, Titus, is still sweet, tender, and (mostly) well-behaved.  The difference now, he desires to play boy things including creative play, toys, wrestling, etc. more than girl things. The other day one of the girls was aggravating him and he turned and burped and blew it in her face.  She was, of course, appalled.  I, secretly, cheered and pulled my closed fist to my hip in victory- only a boy would do that to his sister, right?

God says to not conform to the patterns of this world.  He says he made us in his image and the likeness of man, not the likeness of a woman.  It is my job as his mama to steer him in the right direction to being a godly man.

Warmly,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment