Monday, March 17, 2014

Shop Hungry?

Luke 10:41-42
"But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

Do you ever go shopping hungry?  You come home only to realize that you spent a lot more money than usual and you have many more items that would not have ended up in your cart if you just ate a snack before you left.  Our physical appetite is much like our spiritual appetite.  When we leave the house spiritually hungry (or empty) we will fill that emptiness with something.  Unfortunately, it is usually the world.

This is just food for thought (pun intended).  They say that your day is often defined by the first five things you do.  That made me think.  Here are two scenarios of how my day could start off...let's say on a weekend with less structure, since my weekdays are more scripted.  Look at the cause and possible effects.  

Scenario 1:  I wake up, grab my iPad and check the weather.  This makes me think about what I will wear for the day.  Then I decide to quickly check Facebook and see what comments or likes other people have made.  I then see a couple interesting posts, watch a cool video someone shared and then that reminds me I need to research something.  I quickly research.  Then I mine as well check my email.  I decide to save a few that can wait, but respond to several that I've been putting off.  Over 45 minutes just passed.  Then one of my children come in and tell me how hungry they are and that they already had a banana and two handfuls of cereal.  So, I get out of bed and go make breakfast.  Clean the kitchen.  Start some laundry.  Walk the dogs.  By now two hours have passed.  I'm still in my pajamas and realize that I have not spent one minute with The Lord.  By now, I'm frustrated by the egg I dropped on the floor, disgruntled that two of my kids keep arguing and mad that I wasted all that time in bed "checking up on the world."

Scenario 2:  I wake up, grab my iPad and read the next two chapters in  Matthew.  I pause and reread verses that speak to me.  I ask The Lord to reveal to me what He is trying to speak to me through His Word and how I can apply it to my life.  Then I click on a church app that I like to hear their sermons.  I listen, take notes and laugh at his jokes.  Then I decide to finish a blog post that I started last week.  For me, this is a great time of reflection on how God has worked in my life and how His Word is ever-present and applicable to my life.  Then Titus walks in and says that he already ate a banana and had two handfuls of cereal and is hungry.  I get out of bed and cheerfully go make the family a healthy breakfast.  I continue to reflect on God's goodness in my life and what He has in store for me that day.  

Both scenarios have happened often. The way I start my day truly makes a difference in the outcome of my mood, choices, the way I treat people and activities.  When I am spiritually filled up and sured up I do not feel hungry or deprived.  I do not feel a need to reach out to the world in a needy way filling it with junk food.  This post is a great reminder to myself and how I want to start my days.  

Warmly,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment