Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Joy

James 1:2-4  Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Perspective is everything.  Did you ever stop in the middle of a bad situation and re-frame it to look totally different?  James says to, "Consider it pure joy, " in the midst of a trial.  I can assure you this does not come natural to thank The Lord as some has just stolen your purse and wallet, when the stomach flu is making it's round in your family, when your best friend has just been diagnosed with cancer.  You name the trial.  What are you dealing with today?

This past weekend a lovely virus decided to pay a visit to our home.  And this is a week that my husband is traveling.  Here are two thought patterns:

Thought Pattern #1
- Why does this always happen to me?
- Now I'm not going to be able to get a good night sleep.
- I will have to call in sick to work and make sub plans, which is not fun.

Thought Pattern #2
- Thank you Lord for everyone not having this illness all at the same time.
- Thank you for allowing me to have a day off to spend with my child alone.
- Thank you Lord for choosing me to nurse my children back to health.

Considering any trial pure joy does not come naturally in the flesh.  Notice that all of my thoughts from the first one are all about me.  The second one is about God and others.  A simple acronym that I learned years ago was, If your want pure JOY, put J-esus first, O-thers second and then Y-ourself.  It has proven to be a good motto in my own life.  God has a plan and purpose in all of our trials.
With Joy, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment