Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What my 4 year old Taught Me

Recently I got a wonderful glimpse into the beauty and heart of a child. A few Saturdays ago my husband and I were getting ready for the day and my 4 year old came downstairs with a bag of toys. She told me she wanted to give these to her friend who was having a birthday party that morning. When I looked in the bag I was a little shocked at what she had put inside.  Many of the toys were my daughter's favorites. Sadly, my first reaction was to tell her she probably shouldn't give those away because my daughter liked them so much. She looked at me very matter of fact and said, "Mom, these are my friend's favorites to play with over here so I thought she would really be happy if she could keep them at her house". Wow!  The tears started flowing and I hugged my daughter and told her how proud I was of her and that Jesus was giving her such a tender heart and heart for loving others.

My husband came back in the room and I told him what happened and he just said, "Praise God. She is learning to hold loosely to things of this world. Let her give away whatever she wants". We both talked about how these are the moments in parenting that bring great joy. The day to day grind of training, correcting, modeling, etc. are hard. Then God in His kind and perfect way gives us parents who feel torn down, weary and tired a beautiful glimpse that it is paying off and the hours of prayer, sacrifice, and discipline on the parents part matters. It so matters!

My daughter was so proud to give this gift to her friend. She was beaming the whole car ride over. Once she got home I asked her about the party and the first thing she said to me was, "Mom, those toys are gone now. But that is OK, we have lots of other toys and it made my friend so happy". Yes it did baby girl and it made this momma happy.

We have an Altar Box where we keep mementos of God's goodness to us throughout the year. I put a small toy of Rachel's in there to remind me that the joy in giving is so much bigger than the gift. It is a divine attribute of Christ. He gave His life for us. Hold on loosely to things of this world. Only Christ matters. My baby girl taught me so much that weekend. Funny thing how God uses children to teach us adults divine lessons. I love the beautiful soul she is and how Christ is beginning to penetrate her heart. My prayer for her since I found out I was pregnant 5 years ago is that she would be a leader for Christ in this world and spread His fame with the talents, treasures, and time He gives her. He did that this weekend. I am so very grateful for a bag of princess toys, wooden staking blocks and fake fruit. It is a moment in my life that I will never forget.

Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done.
Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.
Glory in his holy name; let the heart of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Look to the Lord and his strength;
seek his face always.
Psalm 105:1-4

With JOY,
Leeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment