Thursday, October 17, 2013

Adversity


I think it is a huge misnomer that if and when you become a Christian, life will be easy or perfect.  The world often looks at Christians as being judgmental, self-righteous and living the perfect life.  NOT!  From my itty bitty perspective, when I became a Christian, my focus and choices changed.  I stopped focusing on myself and started focusing on Jesus and the life He led.  I started reading the Bible and learning God’s Truths and how to abide in them.  So, in that regard…my life became a whole lot better because I was making wiser choices with God as my compass.  Life is still filled with issues, problems, tragedy, death, bodily ailments and emotional uproars.  The way these problems are handled and perceived can significantly change.  I often say to my husband, “Life is about problems and the way we handle them.”

Why does God allow adversity?  This is a loaded question.  First of all, we live in a fallen world.   From the beginning with Adam and Eve succumbing to the forbidden fruit, God’s original creation was altered.  Secondly, God uses adversity to show us our profound need for Him.  Why would we need a savior if our life was perfect?  The Bible talks about Paul and his “thorn in the flesh” (2 Corinthians 12:7-10). The apostle wrote, “I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” (verse 10)
As our dependency on the Lord increases, we learn more about Him.  We become more like Him.  God uses our past adversities to help those in similar situations.  God does not waste anything.  God provides the courage to meet any demand from our trials and tribulations.  Genuine courage is not chilled by our fears and circumstances.  The courage and confidence of Christ to handle any circumstance can only come from Him.  By faith, we become courageous. 

Lord God in Heaven, I thank you that you know every moment and circumstance in my life before it even occurs.  Help me to rely on you more and less on my own strength.  I admit, in my own weakness I am insufficient.  Fill me with your Holy Spirit and guide my thoughts, steps and choices.  Remind me of your sovereignty and that you are the Prince of Peace, Mighty Counselor and Physician of all physicians.  Even the waves obey you.  I pray in Christ’s name, for your guidance though all of my life.  

Warmly,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment